martes, 24 de septiembre de 2013

Adalar

My weekends begin on Sunday here because I have to work a half day on Saturdays. I found out that it is very common to work six day weeks here. I am lucky that I get two days off. My weekend was very relaxing. I finally got to sleep in on Sunday! I haven't done that in three weeks. After I woke up my roommate prepared breakfast. We ate eggs and sausage, bread, tomatoes, cucumber, and cheese. It was delicious! After breakfast I went to the markets to get some fruit and movies. I don't have wifi at the house which is hard at times when Ceren isn't there. I can either read or watch Downtown Abbey, but I have already watched the second season twice now. I bought some food at the market using broken Turkish, and three movies. On my way back home I stopped in a bookstore to get an English teaching book and dictionary. I spent the rest of my day at the apartment cleaning and reading. It was very low key which is exactly what I wanted.
On Monday I got up and ventured down to the Kabtas, the ferry docks, to go to Princes' Islands. Princes' Islands or Andalar, as they are known here, are a group of our islands that are about an hour away from Istanbul by ferry. I met a nice British couple when purchasing my ticket. They helped me figure out when the next ferry was and told me about their plans for the islands. Eventually we parted ways so I could get something to eat. The ferry ride was gorgeous. I decided to go to the biggest island, Buyukada.
I read a little bit about the islands at work, but most of what I read had escaped my mind by the time I got to the ferry. I decided to just wait and see what the British couple did, because they were going to the same place as I was. At the third stop I looked around to find the British couple only to realize they were getting off the boat. I tried to get off as well, but was too late. It was a good thing I stayed on, because they got off early.

view from top of Buyukada

When the ferry got to Buyukada I got off and went to a restaurant by the water. Both of the waiters spoke English and were very eager to practice with me. I decided to try something new and got lamb which was overpriced, and not very good. The location of the restaurant was beautiful though so I didn't mind. After finally leaving, the two waiters would not quit talking, I attempted to find St. George Church. I remember reading in Lonely Planet that there was a clock tower in the center of the Island that I had to pass in order to get to the church. I asked the waiter and he told me to go by the "Big Ben watch."
I walked for about an hour to get to the church. The walk was gorgeous. Cars are not allowed on the island so the only way to get around it by bike or horse drawn carriage. I chose to walk because there were a lot of hills. For about 40 minutes I walked by the most beautiful houses. Most of them overlooked the water and were amazing. I am not sure if they were people's homes or just vacation houses. Regardless, they were great, and I would be content with living in one of them for the rest of my life. After 40 minutes my walk turned into more of a hike. I went up a very steep hill for about 15 minutes. It was tough and I didn't even know if I was going the right way. On top of that everyone kept staring at me. I don't know if it was what I was wearing, but during my entire walk I was stared at by everyone. It was yet again another uncomfortable time, but I just put my sunglasses on and ignored the wandering eyes.
At the top of the hill I saw a church. I was relieved that I had actually gone the right way. The church was small and I had to cover up before I went in. The inside of the church was breathtaking. Cameras weren't allowed so I couldn't take any pictures. I was kind of glad that I couldn't because it would have ruined the experience. Instead of pews there were cubby like seats around the church that people were sitting in. I don't know if they were praying or just thinking but everyone seemed to have something on his/her mind. I looked around for a while and eventually left. The feeling inside the church was so calm and it made me calm inside. Outside of the church was the most beautiful view of the other islands/Turkey.
I wanted to sit for a while so I climbed down some rocks and found a cozy spot. I had climbed down far enough that there wasn't anyone around. I don't know how to put into words what I felt as I sat on those rocks. It was a spiritual experience. I sat there for an hour just looking out. I didn't listen to music or read, I just sat there. It was so peaceful and I think I can say without a doubt that is my favorite spot in the world. I realize I have a lot more of this world to see, but for now that is number one. I was glad I had decided to take a day trip, and I was even more glad that I decided to do it by myself. I was forced to leave my hideout after a couple began making out near me. It was good timing though, because I needed to leave anyway to catch the ferry. On my way back to the ferry I bought some baklava which was delicious.



The ferry ride back was pleasant and a different experience than on the way there because the sun was setting. When I got back to the apartment I cooked dinner and watched Dead Man Down. I went to bed relatively early so that I could be ready for week 4.

2 comentarios: